Thursday, July 5, 2007

A rant about inconsiderate neighbors

I know it has been quite a while since I have written a post on this blog. The events that took place in my North Toledo neighborhood last night have inspired me to rant about them in this post. I understand the need to celebrate the 4th of July with fireworks, family, and fun. What I do not understand is why drunken debauchery, gun shots, sounds of fighting, vandalism, shooting of fireworks, glass breaking, and other events have to continue past midnight, especially when people have to work the next day.

My husband and I had the window a/c unit and television on in an attempt to drown out the above activities of our inconsiderate neighbors last night. We were not able to go to sleep until 4 or 5am. The only reason our dogs were able to sleep was for the fact that they have to be sedated due to being intensely afraid of the neighborhood activity on the 4th of July. They were not afraid until this year until some freaking idiot threw a lit firecracker at them in their own backyard.

I do not understand the people that live in my neighborhood. I know that it is a small minority making it rough for the majority of people in the neighborhood who work hard and cannot afford to live anywhere else due to over priced housing in the suburbs of Toledo. We are trying to get out of this neighborhood as we do not want to raise our future children there. We are both in college to improve our lot in life and to flee this city which we feel has imprisoned us due to the lack of economic opportunity, affordable housing in a safe neighborhood and good schools.